Marnin Family Support & Legal Unit (MFSLU)
Helping prevent family violence for a safer community and better future
The Marnin Family Support and Legal Unit (MFSLU) delivers culturally appropriate legal representation and non-legal holistic support services primarily in the area of safety, wellbeing and strengthening family capacity. The MFSLU works with women and communities to find solutions to effectively address the impact & challenges experienced by women & children in relation to domestic & family violence.
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence & abuse occurs when a person physically or psychologically harms, threatens, dominates or controls another person, or attempts to do so.
- Physical violence
- Sexual assault
- Threats or intimidation
- Emotional and social abuse
- Financial abuse
MFSLU can provide
- Free confidential legal advice, support and representation in court for victims of family violence and/or sexual assault in legal matters including Restraining orders, Family Law, Child Protection and Criminal Injuries Compensation
- Assistance lodging applications for Criminal Injuries Compensation, Restraining Orders and Parenting Orders
- Outreach services to communities
- Referrals to other services for trauma, grief and relationship counselling
- Legal education workshops
- Community education workshops to increase the awareness of family violence in schools, community groups and with service providers
- Support and workshops for family groups